Monday, July 23, 2007

TCO2

1. Discuss how your thoughts about prostitution changed since Friday's presentation.
Since Friday's presentation, I never thought prostitutions are being controlled by pimps who beat them up and take all their money. I also never thought prostitutions are related to drugs and guns. The life on the streets are far worse compared to a normal high school life because it is life threatening on the streets. I was suprised when the speaker told me about the percentage and the age range of people who enter the sex trade. The speaker taught me that people will do things that they don't normally do to get drugs. It is really scary to know that people will betray their best friends by recruiting them just to obtain drugs. It was neccessary for me to know how pimps recruit people to work for them. Pimps say things to make girls confident and buy things for the girls which the girls owe back later. The girls go to parties the pimps plan and receive free drugs and alcohol. After a few months, the girls should be addicted to the drugs. Then the pimps would threaten the girls by telling them that they owe the pimps money for the drugs and they will have to return the money by working for the pimps. The pimps sometimes threaten the lives of the girls' families. The girls should be too scared to tell their parents about the debt and will do whatever the pimp ask them to do. The pimps ruin peoples' lives. Girls who are prostitutes might have begun because of survival. They might have started being prostitutes when they are 14 years old. Girls do not know the laws like the pimps do and the pimps use the laws to their advantage.
2. What things will you do now to protect yourself and your friends from recruitment?
In my opinion, I would avoid attending parties with people I do not know well. Most of the time, I do not go to parties where drinking, and drug using are permitted. If the location of the party is somewhere I am not familiar with, I will not attend it. If I do attend a party, I will go in big groups of friends. Therefore, we can look out for each other. Also, I will avoid hanging out with people who look like they are involved with drugs. I will not be easily persuaded. Also, I will not take anything strangers offer me, so I will not owe anybody anything. If one of my friends are involved in anything related to drugs or the sex trade, I will leave them and find new friends to hang out with even if it means breaking our friendships because they might try to harm me in some ways.

No comments: